Thursday, December 4, 2014

SMH ...



At one time or another, every state I have lived in during my life has claimed to hold the title of "craziest" state political scene.  Generally speaking, I have always considered Louisiana's claim to be the most accurate in that regard, but an event yesterday afternoon may finally convince me that Alaska has pulled into the lead.

As some will recall, I engaged in an independent expenditure effort this last election cycle focused on certain state legislative races, largely to help publicize the state's fiscal situation.  One of those I supported was Retired Army Col. Laurie Hummel, who was challenging incumbent Rep. Gabrielle LeDoux.  I supported Hummel over LeDoux because, after years of watching, I had become convinced LeDoux was part of the spending problem in the legislature, not the solution.

Somewhat understandably -- this isn't the crazy part, yet -- Rep. LeDoux struck back at my support of her opponent by issuing a press release (above left), among other things calling me a "bully," and on a local talk radio show, a "narcissistic bully."  OK, no one ever said politics wasn't a full contact sport.

But then yesterday -- and this is the crazy part -- I received an email from Rep. LeDoux (who had gone on to win the election, barely).  It wouldn't have been crazy if it had said something like, "nah, nah, na nah, nah, I won, you lost."  Again, no one ever said politics wasn't a full contact sport.

But instead, it said this:
I have quite a bit of campaign debt to retire -- and I need your help to do it. ... Will you join me in continuing to provide strong, conservative leadership in Juneau by visiting voteledoux.com and donating today? A donation of $25, $50, $100, or even $500 would help more than you know.
Hmmmmm, uhhhh, no, I don't think so.  Even if it wasn't for all the campaign stuff, explain to me again why I would want to support someone headed to Juneau to help deal with the state's fiscal crisis -- caused by the very deficit spending that Rep. LeDoux voted for -- that wasn't able even to balance their own campaign budget?  Reading it through the first time induced a sort of Wizard of Oz moment -- "don't pay any attention to that debt behind the curtain; only pay attention to what I say I am."

Even this morning, as I reread the letter again, one of Patsy Cline's greatest hits kept popping into my head.  

I think Alaska may have just pulled ahead of Louisiana.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's:

    Lazy, I'm lazy for feeling so lavish...
    Lazy, I'm lazy for spending this way...

    ReplyDelete